Saturday, March 22, 2008

Negative Time South Pacific?



Sometime last night we went over the International Date Line, so I get to repeat Saturday over again. It's a shame it didn't happen a day later because then I could have had two Easters. :)

I have the 8:00 AM - noon watchstander shift, which works well because lately I've been an early bird (I blame my 8:30 classes this past term). The other watchstanders are M.C., R.A., C.H., and R.G.

M.C. is the one in charge. He's going to be using the data from this trip and from a few others he's already been on for his thesis.

R.A. has been on the Palmer before, on one of the Antarctica trips. In fact, that's how she met M.C., and now they're married. (aww)

C.H. grew up in California, but goes to school in Hawaii. Back a few years ago, he was working in a scuba shop in California, when my professor came in to buy masks for her daughters. He saw that she was wearing a geology sweatshirt, they got to chatting, and the next day he was signed up for a Palmer cruise. He's filling in for someone else who couldn't make it on this cruise.

R.G. is from my rival school. She's been traveling around the world in the year since she graduated - doing archeology in Greece, field camp in New Zealand, etc, which is pretty awesome.

So... now you've met my fellow watchstanders.

(originally posted on Livejournal)

No comments:

Post a Comment