Saturday, March 22, 2008

Goodbye, Land



We left Lyttleton yesterday morning and are 348 nautical miles from New Zealand now (someone with google calculator will have to convert that into miles for me) (edit - 400 miles).

You haven't heard from me in awhile because I've been seasick. :P I've never gotten motion sick in the car, on rollar coasters, anywhere. As a little girl, I even used to read while spinning around as fast as I could in a rolly chair. But I forgot one important thing - my stomach reacts horribly to greasy food. So, of course, I had yummy, greasy breakfast sandwiches for breakfast and yummy, greasy rolls for lunch just after we left port. By about 1 PM, in the middle of our IT orientation, I was feeling pretty lousy. But taking medication, throwing up (yes, in that order), and then sleeping for 13 hours seem to have done the trick.

The motion of the ship is actually very calming, and I find myself almost falling asleep all the time. This afternoon a few of us watched a movie (Whale Rider, a New Zealand movie) in the lounge. The lounge has these awesome recliners, so lying on them with the boat rocking felt like relaxing on a float in a swimming pool.

(originally posted on Livejournal)

No comments:

Post a Comment